Sunday, January 5, 2014

Polar Vortex and Why I'm Moving Closer To The Equator



http://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/facts/vortex_NH.html is a great site to explain this phenomena that has actually always existed but has worsened because of Global Warming. Scientists probably should have called it something else since it appears to confuse some people. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/03/cold-weather-climate-change_n_4537598.html 

  1. "Statements about climate trends must be based on, er, trends. Not individual events or occurrences. Weather is not climate, and anecdotes are not statistics.
  2. Global warming is actually expected to increase "heavy precipitation in winter storms," and for the northern hemisphere, there is evidence that these storms are already more frequent and intense, according to the draft US National Climate Assessment.

  1. Antarctica is a very cold place. But global warming is affecting it as predicted: Antarctica is losing ice overall, according to the latest report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. However, sea ice is a different matter than land-based or glacial ice. Antarctic sea ice is increasing, and moreover, the reason for this may be climate change! (For more, read here.)"

Finally, just one last thing. When it's winter on Earth, it's also summer on Earth...somewhere else. Thus, allow us to counter anecdotal evidence about cold weather with more anecdotal evidence: It's blazing hot in Australia, with temperatures, in some regions, set to possibly soar above 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the coming days."

And, now, our own attempts to keep the cold manageable so we can at least think.

First, we noticed that since our mast is stepped on the keel, a 6 foot chunk of it stands in the middle of our salon. From the deck it reaches 54 feet into that frigid wind and translates the awful cold into our living quarters. Jack had the bright idea to cover it when he saw me at my crocheting. And that’s what I did, crocheted a full wool jacket for our metal pole.


Secondly, our friend Peter loaned us his SunRite Radiant Heater which uses butane. We use it in the morning and again in the evening. The sailing community, no matter where you are, are full of kind, helpful people, plus they love cats! We also have a small electric heater. I wear all my clothes and have lined the v-berth with pillows. I have to turn the mattress up to dry it out as the bottom gets quite wet. Will have to figure out a solution to that, or maybe not

                         AS WE ARE MOVING TO THE CARIBBEAN!!!!!!

Thirdly, I crocheted a couple pairs of booties last summer and cleverly thought to bring them along. One pair Jack can wear but he doesn’t feel the cold like I do. I have been wearing my pair unto death. Hence, I’m crocheting more. Trying to work out the pattern so they go over my ankles. And that toe has to go.



 I know my friends and family in the northern parts of this continent are having to deal with much worse weather. I wish I could have you all with me. Next year in Store Bay.



"Ho Hey"

(Ho!)
(Hey!)
(Ho!)
(Hey!)

(Ho!) I've been trying to do it right
(Hey!) I've been living a lonely life
(Ho!) I've been sleeping here instead
(Hey!) I've been sleeping in my bed,
(Ho!) Sleeping in my bed
(Hey!)

(Ho!)

(Ho!) So show me family
(Hey!) All the blood that I would bleed
(Ho!) I don't know where I belong
(Hey!) I don't know where I went wrong
(Ho!) But I can write a song
(Hey!)

1, 2, 3
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweet

(Ho!)
(Hey!)
(Ho!)
(Hey!)

(Ho!) I don't think you're right for him.
(Hey!) Look at what it might have been if you
(Ho!) took a bus to China Town.
(Hey!) I'd be standing on Canal
(Ho!) and Bowery.
(Hey!)
(Ho!) And she'd be standing next to me.
(Hey!)

1, 2, 3
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart

Love – we need it now
Let's hope for some
So, we're bleeding out

I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweetheart
I belong with you, you belong with me, you're my sweet

(Ho!)
(Hey!)
(Ho!)
(The last one)
(Hey!)







1 comment:

Bambi Lesne said...

Hey peeps!
It's nice and warm here right now, so we are getting ready to make the jump, hopefully, if all goes as planned we are going this weekend.
Kisses for you both and pets for the kitty's.